International affairs

Exchange studies and language certificates

There is more than one way to get credit for your language skills. For example, if you are unable to take part in a compulsory language course at TAMK because you are participating in a study exchange abroad at the time, it is possible to compensate for the missed course by writing a report about your exchange experiences or by producing some other kind of material in the target language. The practice varies on different study programmes and the details are always decided on a case by case basis. So if you are applying for a study exchange, tell your language teachers in advance and discuss possible alternative ways of earning course credit.

At the same time, it would be a good idea to go through your Learning Agreement with the language teacher. Every student who participates in a study exchange makes a Learning Agreement prior to their departure with the international co-ordinator responsible for the study programme concerned. The Agreement shows all the courses which the student will take in the host institution. It is also worth discussing with a language teacher before you go abroad how you expect to develop your language skills during the exchange period, and how you might demonstrate and earn credit for such skills when you return to TAMK. In this way, you can organise your exchange studies so as to meet the TAMK accreditation criteria for language skills.

The host institutions normally require a certificate showing that the exchange students that they accept have sufficient skills in the language of the host country or the language of instruction. Your language teachers will provide statements about your language skills, but please make sure that you request these statements in plenty of time before you leave. Print out the TAMK language evaluation sheet and take it to your teacher to complete and sign.

More information:

International TAMK
Instructions for student exchange
Instructions for trainee exchange